Bake a true French classic during this fun virtual experience. Tarte Tatin is an upside-down cake that you flip at the end! We'll be learning how to make the easy version of puff pastry and go over the basics of making caramel!
About the teacher: Molly Wilkinson is a pastry chef in Versailles. Originally from Dallas, Texas, in 2013 she changed careers to follow her passion by moving to Paris and studying pastry at Le Cordon Bleu. After working at several bakeries in both France and the US, she now teaches pastry out of her 18th century apartment just 5 minutes walk from the Versailles Chateau. Her method is all about making French pastry easy by breaking down recipes and showing you lots of tips and tricks to help any baker achieve extraordinary results. Find her on Instagram at www.instagram.com/mollyjwilk.
Recipe and Zoom link for this class will be emailed to you upon registration.
If multiple people from your household will attend and share a device/computer, please only register one time.
- 8" or 9" cake pan or pie plate
- Rolling pin (or wine bottle)
- Large saucepan or frying pan with a light-colored bottom (aka not black so you can see the color of the caramel change).
- Recipe ingredients (full recipe and ingredients list will be emailed to you upon registration)
For the Simple Puff Pastry:
- 1 stick/8 tbls (114g) of unsalted or salted butter, COLD in BIG cubes
- 1 cup (114g) flour 5-6 tbsp cold water
For the Tatin:
- 4-5 baking apples, firm that will keep their shape (Braeburn, Pink Lady, Jazz..)
- 5 tbsp (70g) unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- Half a lemon
- Optional: dried or fresh lavender, ground cinnamon, fresh rosemary or thyme
To prepare for the class:
- Have all your ingredients measured out and ready to go!
- The butter for the easy puff pastry should be cold and cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 375F